Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is one of the most serious – and unfortunately most common – traffic violations in Florida. Over the last 20 years, penalties for drunk driving have steadily increased. Simply being charged with an alcohol-related driving offense can damage an individual’s personal and professional reputation.
A conviction can lead to loss of a job, skyrocketing insurance costs, significant personal embarrassment, heavy fines and even jail time. But remember, just because you were charged with a DUI, the battle is not over. In fact, it’s just beginning.
Your Tampa DUI lawyers, with the Rooth Law Group, fight to protect your rights. We keep the government in check to protect you from overzealous arrests.
Don’t make the mistake of trying to defend yourself in court or negotiating with prosecutors as a private citizen. When you are facing the long and difficult process, known as our legal system, you need the help of a licensed professional Tampa DUI lawyer.
Make the smart choice. Put the Rooth Law Group to work for you.
Professional Experience with Florida’s Changing DUI Laws:
No doubt about it, going to court for a Florida DUI can be tricky. Litigating these cases often involves dealing with both the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles as well as the criminal prosecutors handling the case. These agencies will have armies of lawyers, paralegals and secretaries at their disposal. You should have a first rate legal team, too.
If you or a loved one has been charged with DUI, you need a lawyer with the power and the know-how to take on these complicated, time-consuming cases.
The State of Florida is particularly tough on motorists convicted of drunk driving. Just last year, the state adopted new laws that double fines and impose mandatory sentences if your blood alcohol content is measured at above .15 percent. In extreme cases, the state can even install a Breathalyzer machine (known as an Interlock Device) inside your car.
With laws like these continuing to tighten, it’s more important than ever to make sure you hire a lawyer who is equipped to take on your defense.
As founding partners at the Rooth Law Group, Ryan and Kelly Rooth have devoted their legal careers to defending the rights of the accused in Florida. Ryan Rooth is a former state prosecutor who has experience taking literally hundreds of cases to trial. Kelly Rooth spent the early part of her career working for large law firms and has also worked for a federal appellate judge.
Their experience and knowledge of the evidence commonly used in DUI cases – police reports, Breathalyzers, arrest videos – will be invaluable when it comes to planning your defense.
The attorneys at Rooth Law Group are energetic and aggressive legal advocates who put the needs of the client first. Our pledge is handle your case with care and compassion, keeping you informed about the goings-on from the first day you become our client until the day your cases reaches a resolution.
If you need help with your Florida DUI (DWI) defense, contact the Rooth Law Group today to schedule a free initial consultation: (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
Blog for Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Sweat Ankle Monitors Holding DUI Violators Accountable under Florida LawDescription: A DUI sentence usually involves either jail time or probation. Defendants can be released on bail as they wait for their pending trial. Judges usually order these individuals to stop drinking alcohol while they are released or on probation. The challenge is, how do authorities ensure that defendants are complying with this requirement? If you have questions about your criminal charge, call Rooth Law Group today for a free consultation, (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
- Don’t Miss Your Speedy Trial Deadline in Defending Your DUI Charge!Description: Do you have questions about your speedy trial deadline? Contact Rooth Law Group for a free consultation today at (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
Library for Driving Under the Influence (DUI):
- The Florida Tourist’s Guide to First-Time DUI Arrests and Sanctions
Description: A DUI arrest is not only embarrassing it is also an extremely expensive lesson in Florida. Millions of people travel to Florida each year, often to take advantage of our tourist-based economy, visit the beaches and theme parks. Few people visit with the intentions of going home with a DUI charge or conviction. This article addresses may questions that Florida tourists arrested for a DUI face, ranging from “do I have to go to court in Florida?” to “what are the sanctions imposed by the judge?” If you have additional questions, contact our Florida criminal defense law firm for a free consultation: (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
- Video – Know the Evidence and Develop a Strategy
Description: As the cost of video technology becomes more affordable and the ability to store the video becomes easier, the use of video in court cases has greatly increased. The increased prevalence of video capturing criminal activity has made video a pivotal issue in determining whether the prosecutor can obtain a conviction. If there is a video involved in the alleged charge against you, don’t take changes. Hire a criminal defense attorney who is experienced in handling video evidence. Contact our Florida criminal defense lawyers for a free consultation: (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
- How Your Field Sobriety Test May Impact Your DUI Prosecution
Description: If you have been pulled over for a suspected DUI, it is likely the police officer asked you to perform various exercises to test your physical and motor skills. These tests are known as field sobriety tests and have been developed with the goal of being standardized, scientifically reliable, and predictive of impairment. A skilled criminal defense attorney may be able to challenge the field sobriety tests in your legal defense. Contact St. Petersburg DUI attorneys at Rooth Law Group for a free consultation today: (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
- Texting While Driving – The Next DUI
Description: We at the Rooth Law Group, see every day the often tragic effects of a decision to drive under the influence. Because texting while driving is similarly dangerous and avoidable, we urge all drivers to refrain from this all too-common practice. If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to defend yourself against these DUI charges, please call our office for a free consultation. Call us today for a free consultation: (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
- Your First-Time DUI and the DMV
Description: This article focuses only on a first-time DUI and discusses how the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles responds to a DUI arrest and the actions they take immediately after your arrest. If you have questions about your DUI charge or traffic violation, call us today for a free consultation, (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
- An Overview of Florida Boating Under the Influence Law
Description: A BUI charge is easier to avoid than to fight in a court of law. If you do find yourself in this unfortunate circumstance, or having to defense any driving under the influence charge, do not hesitate to call Rooth Law Group today for a free consultation: (727) 797-9600 in Pinellas County, (813) 333-6517 in Hillsborough County.
Frequent Questions for Driving Under the Influence (DUI):
- Can I get a DUI if I sit in my car after drinking a few beers?
- I was arrested for a first time DUI when I visited Florida but I reside out of state. Can I complete any of the mandatory sanctions for the DUI in my home state so that I don’t have to return to Florida?
- I was arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) while I was on vacation in Florida. Do I need to attend my court dates?
- What kind of sanctions or punishment will I receive if I enter a no contest plea or guilty plea to a first-time DUI?
- Is there a DUI Diversion Program in Pinellas County?
- Can I get a DUI in Pinellas for just sitting in my car?
- Can I avoid serving jail time for a DUI in Pinellas County if I get alcohol treatment ?
- How long will I lose my license if I am convicted of a DUI?
- Is refusing to take a breath/urine/blood test a crime?
- Will I lose my license if I refuse a breath/urine/blood test and if so, for how long?
- What should I do if I am arrested for DUI on bogus evidence of intoxication?
- Does the breath machine really work?
- Does the breath machine ever break?
- Why did I have to provide three breath samples?
- If I get a DUI Florida, what should I do first?
- Does law enforcement suspend a license upon a DUI arrest?
- Can I go to trial in Pinellas County and beat my DUI?